Thursday, December 23, 2010

Two Teeth

All I want for Christmas is my friend's two back teeth removed. It is not exactly a Christmas song but it's as close to one that you will find coming from the village of Rambo. My good friend and former neighbor, Ousseini, finally came to visit. I had been insisting for a while that he come, especially because he has been unable to sleep due to the pain in his back teeth. A week of no sleep and constant aching finally forced him to trek the 40k on a village bike out to see me.

The timing of his visit ended up being to my advantage as I was able to get out of the long-winded teachers' meeting that happens at the end of each semester. I am sure Ousseini saw less luck in his throbbing pains. However, he was lucky enough to be able to get into the dentist rather quickly. I would like to note here that I have Peace Corps medical services which means Peace Corps doctors and clinic but Ousseini has the catholic hospital run by village nuns.

While the hospital is a looming compound, it is really more vast space than facilities. The first building we entered was the dentist's nook. There we got a consultation and a slip of paper with a strict command not to return until we had proof of payment and rubber gloves. Then it was a small trek over to the cashier nun to pay for the upcoming operation. The total on that was only about $10 (US). The final trip was to the pharmacy to get aspirin and antibiotics (for the aftershocks) and rubber gloves at about $2. I gladly paid the amount but am now a bit ashamed to think that my Christmas present to my dear friend was a pair of pliers to the mouth.

The next moments are haunting if only because it was eerily silent and quick. Ousseini walked in and five minutes later walked out of the dentist's chamber without two of his back teeth. No screams. No strains. Just pain. Poor guy even ran into the door, he was so dazed. Amazingly he still had a typical Ousseini grin on his face.

Now, in my family, we have a tradition of going to Wendy's after a little tug and pull at the tooth doctor's place. A cold frosty does wonders for wounded pride and mouth. However, the closest we have here in Kong is cold yogurt. Ousseini loves cold yogurt, come to find out so, in the tradition of the Ellisons, it was a lunch of cold, sweet yogurt.

Afterward, the grin still did not disappear from Ousseini's face even as he gargled a bit of warm salt water at my place. The only signs of pain that really cracked out he masked by taking a nap. After a couple of hours, he popped up ready to eat and head out on the road like a champ, all to my shock.

Rough.

The only person I can think of that might know how the poor guy feels is my Mom. She's the only one I know who has faced the village tooth-knife and come out all smiles.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kong Comp Lab

From Kong

a little about burkina faso

Burkina Faso (formerly Upper Volta) achieved independence from France in 1960. Repeated military coups during the 1970s and 1980s were followed by multiparty elections in the early 1990s. Current President Blaise COMPAORE came to power in a 1987 military coup and has won every election since then.

Burkina Faso's high population density and limited natural resources result in poor economic prospects for the majority of its citizens. Recent unrest in Cote d'Ivoire and northern Ghana has hindered the ability of several hundred thousand seasonal Burkinabe farm workers to find employment in neighboring countries.

Location:
Western Africa, north of Ghana

Geographic coordinates:
13 00 N, 2 00 W

Area:
total: 274,200 sq km land: 273,800 sq km water: 400 sq km

Burkina Faso